From Monday 8 May to Wednesday 10 May, Methodist Ladies’ College students from Years 5-10 competed in the annual da Vinci Decathlon competition for 2023. MLC are the proud Western Australian State Chapter School for this prestigious event hosted at the University of Western Australia’s Winthrop Hall.
An academic competition designed to challenge and stimulate the minds of school students, the da Vinci Decathlon started in 2002 at Knox Grammar School in Sydney. What began as a local competition has grown to be a national and global phenomenon, now involving thousands of students from Years 5 to 11. That growth was so enormous that they decided to appoint State Chapter Schools and in 2020, MLC took over as the Chapter School for WA.
In the spirit of an Olympic Decathlon, teams of 8 work together on 10 papers which run concurrently throughout the day. The disciplines covered are:
- Mathematics and chess
- Code breaking
- Art and poetry
- Creative producers
A big congratulations to all of the students who participated and their teachers for preparing them. A special mention to the Year 7 team for finishing 1st overall and the Year 10 team for finishing 2nd overall! Other fantastic results for MLC included:
- Year 5 team – 2nd place for art & poetry
- Year 7 team – 1st place for English
- Year 7 team – 2nd place for ideation
- Year 7 team – 2nd place for mathematics
- Year 8 team – 3rd place for creative producers
- Year 9 team – 1st place for engineering
- Year 10 team – 3rd place for English
- Year 10 team – 1st place for ideation
- Year 10 team – 2nd place for mathematics
- Year 10 team – 3rd place for creative producers
- Year 10 team – 1st place for code breaking
A shoutout to all of the MLC staff who made the event possible. Your hard work and support was immensely appreciated. Go team MLC!